On to Hakone

I am exhausted, and my wireless keyboard died, but I know if I don’t write up each day as it happens I’ll fall behind and never catch up and totally forget what we did on each of these amazing days! So please excuse brevity, typos, incoherence.

We started out today with with lots of packing. Then Logan, Ami and I headed to Shinjuku station to catch the Odakyu Romancecar to Hakone. 

The train ride was wonderful, with views of Mt. Fuji! Ami lost interest quickly, but I stared out the window, enthralled. When we arrived at Hakone-yumoto, we found a display of train personnel gear we could put on for pictures.  Ami got to dress up just like Mr. Conductor!

 We dropped our luggage off with a luggage forwarding service that would bring our bags to our hotel (which worked GREAT) and headed off to a tofu and mountain yam restaurant called Shika-Jaya for lunch. 

Ami, once again, enjoyed the whit rice and soup. And snacks we’d brought. 

After lunch, we went back to the station to catch a train up the side of the mountain. This train track is so steep that the train actually goes through a series of switchbacks, where the driver and rear engineer trade places and the train changes direction as it climbs!

Destination: the Hakone Open Air Museum. This museum has a large sculpture collection, several areas for kids to play on/in, and a beautiful hillside setting.  

They had a Noguchi-inspired play area! 

Ami liked this one a lot, too. 


Since it was getting late in the afternoon, we headed back down the slope to our ryokan, Yama no Chaya. The three of us skipped our nap today, which might not have been the best idea. Ami was pretty punchy this afternoon and evening, and both Logan and I were just wrung out. 

The ryokan is AMAZING. I will try to get more pictures tomorrow. We have an onsen hot spring in our room! The place is pretty traditional, so when we arrived the main area of our suite was set up like this. 

And when we got back from dinner, it had been re-set as a bedroom. The futons are surprisingly comfortable. 

We were each issued a robe called a yakata, as well as a belt, socks, and a coat.

As you can see, though, the best is Ami’s. 

And with that, good night!

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Fiona Lapham says:

    Wonderful! Are you going to go to Hakone Kowakien Yunessun hotsprings (the big ones that feel like an amusement park)? I bet that would be hit with a two year old. Can’t wait to see more, we want to take the kids once they are both old enough to deal with that flight.

    1. Classy Otter says:

      Not this time, unfortunately. Just too much to do! The flight was definitely rough on Ami – it probably took her five days or so to really acclimate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s